Sunday, April 24, 2016

My Pasta Sauce!

Yum

                                                              My Pasta Sauce!
                                               
Pasta Sauce! A taste that takes me back a few years to the first time I ever cooked, my very first recipe was pasta sauce. My cooking mentor,my Mom,who passed on her cooking skills to me, I was the oldest so it was inevitable for  me not to cook, I believe I was about 13 at the time. She took two onions, one for each and she said try to do what I do and that was it, we created our first recipe together. I have to admit dicing onions was a teary situation (lol). My cooking skills aren't bad at all but I still enjoy my meals way better when  they are cooked by my Mom. My Pasta recipe has become my trademark among family and friends. I have a knack for creating a scrumptious marinara sauce, it can be used almost anywhere, on pasta, rice, with french fries, even with fried eggs. My in-laws plant abundant tomatoes in their huge garden and  therefore I have the essential ingredient to create various pasta sauces, which I  freeze and use when our pasta craving hits us. Making pasta sauce from scratch is super easy and so much fun because after the basic ingredients, your pasta is alterable and you can add various ingredients, such as, green peppers, carrots, celery, you name it, use your imagination and a little TLC and presto your sauce is ready! Most people before making a pasta sauce, they blanch their tomatoes. (boil,peel and scoop the seeds out ) I honestly don't see a reason for this, I want the whole tomato in my sauce not a part of it.  If your Greek and you love rustic bread they compliment each other perfectly! 





Pasta Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1 large onion
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 whole nutmeg(optional)
  • cinnamon (optional) 
  • 4 cloves (optional)
  • peppercorns 
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste 
  • olive oil
O.K. as I said, I don't blanch tomatoes. I take my cutting board and I dice my tomatoes, onions and garlic. I take my cooking pot, add the olive oil about 1/4 cup, heat the oil until it starts shimmering,   Then I add onions, tomato, and garlic saute for about 10 minutes,start to stir all the ingredients until they are covered with oil. Saute until the onion it's tender but not browned, add a teaspoon of oregano salt & pepper to taste. Don't stop stirring and use a wooden spoon.  During this time if you want you can add diced up peppers, carrots etc. it's all up to you.Then add about 2 cups of  water. Bring to a boil and cover, cook for about 20 -30 min. When water has reached half its cooking point, add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and if you like add spices like cloves, grind a bit of nutmeg etc. Once again try a few things around and see what you prefer. During the summer time I have fresh basil so of course I make pasta sauce using some fresh basil. Yum! Yum! 

                      Another great tasting recipe form my kitchen to yours KALE OREXI!! 




                                                           

No comments :

Post a Comment