Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Linguine with Crab Sauce Spyro's Way






Crab sauce the way my dad loved it. This was a family treat for all of us. As you all know by now, my dad was a picky food lover. He just loved a good meal. I still haven't solved the mystery, for someone who didn't know how to cook, he surely left us with some great recipes that he taught my mom .

Ingredients

  • 5 live crabs ( depending on guests)
  • 2 large onions
  • 2 large tomatoes
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • * Hot Tobasco Sauce  ( Only if you prefer your sauce hot otherwise omit it) 
  • 1/2 teasppon of oregano
  • 1/2 cup of olive oil. If you prefer you can add a bit more.
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions

  1. Empty your crabs in a colander under a sink and wash them off.



2. Use a tall pot,I used an 8 quart pot. Fill with water almost to the top, let it boil and add your crabs. Boil for about 15 minutes, until your crabs turn red.






3.Take another 8 quart pot place a colander and drain the crabs. Set the water aside for later use. 







  1. Dice or cut your onions, tomatoes,and your garlic in a blender


3. Add your ingredients in your pot add your olive oil, don't forget to add your oregano, salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes add water and cover. Also add 5 ladles of the crab water you set aside. Set on high heat and let to boil for about 30 minutes or until it simmers.





4.When your sauce is about to simmer add your tomato paste stir and then add your crabs.
Set on medium heat until it becomes a smooth sauce. When they are ready set aside until your linguine is ready.


5. Take the crab water that you have set aside add extra water, bring it to a boil and add your linguine.As the linguine boils add a teaspoon of salt.


Drain your linguine,what I usually do is return them to the pot and butter them with two tablespoons of butter. I have a few chef friends who tell me they never butter the past they just serve it right from the pot because it loses it's flavor, we love to butter them so that's what I do. It's a personal preference.


I returned to the pot and I buttered my linguine.


Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if you like and serve ! It looks so mouth watering !


You can serve your dish with a nice tall glass of beer !

Now how do you open and eat your crab ? This technique was taught to me by my dad.
Flip your crab over, lift the flap  and insert a flat knife underneath and pop it open.




Remove all the yellowish stuff as seen in the picture below, crack open the sides and that's where all the crab meat is.


Some people cut it down the middle but I find this hard and slippery. Doesn't work for me.


The claws when broken, they too have a bit of crab meat. 



Another recipe from my kitchen to yours . KALE OREXI !!






Prep Time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Cook time: 1 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 30 mins.
Yields:  5 servings, it's usually a crab to each dish.
Tags: linguine sauce,spaghetti, crab sauce, red sauce, sauces for crab,Greek food, Greek recipes

8 comments :

  1. G'day I haven't had this dish for THE longest time! Many memories of yum!
    Cheers! Joanne
    #ibabloggers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. Now you have me craving crab. While I could just eat crab plain by itself the rest of the dish looks delicious too.

    #ibabloggers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic recipe. You brought back memories of my childhood when we would visit my grandparents who lived right on the Intercoastal waterway in Wildwood, NJ. We would go into the backyard and onto the dock and set our crab pots out. Then when we caught crabs, we would bring them inside and my grandmother would boil them immediately for us to eat. It was so delicious. Thanks for sharing. I am stopping by from MommyBlogger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and it looks so good, too! I didn't realize that the crab was served still in the shell. #ibabloggers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments :) My dad taught us how to eat well !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Pattipeanut, this recipe has a lot of childhood memories, most of the recipes of my blog do. I firm believer that food interweaves with all happenings in our lives. :

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a little afraid of the crab but I want to try this!! Sounds SO good! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't be afraid of the crabs once you put them in the boiling water, it's over ;) I guarantee you it's delicious !!

    ReplyDelete