Saturday, February 28, 2015

Custard Pie a.k.a Bougatsa


Bougatsa another Greek term, it's roots lie in Konstantinople ( Byzantine times) when it was still Greek. We're talking about 1453 B.C many, many , many years ago. Byzantines were well known in making pies and desserts baked in pans. Bougatsa was one of their famous pies. Even after the city was captured by the Turks the bougatsa lived on.

Bougatsa - means either cheese filled or  sweet filled, closed and tucked inside the phyllo or dough. 
In Konstatinople it was referred  " Bugatsa", by the turks and the Greeks called it "Bogatsa" or "Pogatsa". Whatever they called it thank God for its invention, it is finger licking delicious !!! 

This post contains affiliated links and I will get compensated when you buy through my links.



Ingredients
  • 1 package Thin Phyllo  ( I prefer the thin phyllo over the thick one) 
  • 4 measuring cups milk  ( I used a bit more milk I like it thick) 
  • 1 measuring cup sugar
  • 1 measuring cup semolina (This is the  brand I used) 
  • 3- 4 tablespoons margarine ( I used butter) it's creamier
  • *1 teaspoon McCormick vanilla extract 





                                                         

If you have a Greek deli next to you, buy the vanilla viles you see in the picture below, they make the bougatsa tangier,if not use McCormick'c vanilla extract, works just as well.








Add all your ingredients in the pot set on high and mix. If it doesn't thicken just add a  bit more semolina.  Add the butter when it thickens.


When your sweet filling is ready. Prepare your phyllo sheets and pan. I prefer the thin sheets rather to the thick phyllo. I feel it takes away the taste from the sweet filling.







Use a brush to spread the melted butter in the pan, I prefer to use my daughter's painting brush. Separate your phyllo in two even piles. Brush your pan with butter and each phyllo sheet separately.



Place each sheet of phyllo in the pan.


Add your sweet filling.


The overflapping phyllo sheets fold them inwards to the pan.


Add the remaining sheets, don't forget to butter each phyllo.


Tuck your overlapping sheets underneath the pie. Butter the top phyllo.
Carve shapes before you bake it. Makes the cutting easier after it has been baked.



Bake for about 1/2 hour or until golden brown. Allow it to cool for another 1/2 hour  and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and cinnamon







KALE OREXI !!! Another recipe from my kitchen to yours ! 


18 comments :

  1. Wow that sounds and looks good. I never had that ever. I will have to be adventurous one of these days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese filled or sweet filled, either way sounds luscious to me! Yummy! So glad you shared this recipe with us at the Home Matters Linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for stopping by. I love linky parties, Shirley. It is delicious, if it's cheese filing I use feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mouth is already watering on this custard this morning :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andi, take a try at it, it's really simple :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks - since I'm celiac, i would have to find things I can work with for this one.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so great! Thanks for linking up with Happy Monday!
    Johanna
    http://www.ourjoyfulhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are welcome ! It also tastes great !

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks absolutely amazing! My husband is a lover of all things Greek that is inclusive of dessert. I am going to have to take a few lessons from you and try to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure Kim shoot m e an email, whenever you want, I'll be glad to help you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely recipe. I wish I wasn't diabetic! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phillo pastry is just magic and I often use it but I've never used it for a dessert. Your pie sounds so delicious that I'll experiment the phyllo pastry with pies as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sylvie, if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

    ReplyDelete