Monday, March 7, 2016

Chicken Pie a.k.a Bouroukopita

Yum








Chicken Pie a.k.a bouroukopita or Kreatopita

Ingredients
  • 1 Whole chicken
  • 5 whole eggs
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 medium sized onion
  • 1 pastry puff (optional) I make my own
  • 1 1/2 cup rice ( long grain rice) 
  • 1/3 cup of oil



Chicken Pie a.k.a Kotopita is a savory traditional  dish that mom has created over a hundred times. A recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation. On the little island of Mathraki, in the early days, the home culinary chefs were very innovative as they used ingredients  that were handy. The chickens they used, were home grown, I have tasted a pie with home grown chicken, it tastes way better then commercial chickens. I'm so glad that I have had the opportunity to taste real organic recipes, as this has provided me with great experience in defining a real good tasting meal.

This Chicken Pie recipe is great for freezer food. You can make one big pie, like I did or you can make small pies and freeze them for later use, when you are just not in the mood to cook. You can either use a home made crust or you can use a ready made pastry puff. For this particular Chicken Pie recipe  I prefer to make my own crust even though I might spend more time in the kitchen. The result according to my taste buds is just so scrumptious! A creamy filling wrapped in a homemade crust and baked until crisp and golden brown is absolutely heavenly! 

Some people use roasted chicken but the pie will turn out dry, in order to get a succulent taste you need to boil it. Chop up your whole chicken you can disregard wings and neck, or you can freeze them to make a quick chicken broth for soup. Once your chicken is all cut up saute in olive oil in a big pot with garlic and onions, add salt an pepper to taste,  saute for about 10 minutes. Cover with water and boil until chicken is tender and ready for tearing. 


Once it's ready take out of pot with a ladle strainer spoon on a platter. Allow it to cool and then tear it apart and place in another platter. I used my pan it was convenient for me.





Return back to pot add water, rice salt and pepper to taste. Add just enough water to boil, add your  rice, boil until it  becomes tender but make sure it doesn't over boil or it will become too creamy. 



Take off the stove, allow it to cool for about 15 min. Take your eggs beat them with your whisk then add them into the filling. Mix very well, add salt and pepper to taste.


Make your phyllo/ pastry  or buy a ready made pastry puff.
Make sure you butter your pan first. My dough


Once you have rolled out your phyllo, add your filling and then make your crust. Make sure to even out the filling either with a flat spatula or using your hands.
When done beat one whole egg and apply on top of the filling use a brush to spread around your Chicken Pie filling.







Preheat your oven on high for 15 min. Place your pie in oven cook on high for about 10 min. reduce to almost half and bake for another 20 - 30  or until golden brown. Cool and cut into pieces, serve with a nice salad


TIP: If you have some filling and dough left over you make some small patties and freeze. I made them and served with fries, my kids enjoyed them so much. 

Roll out your pastry add you filling, roll the sides inward and then roll all the way till you close it. Freeze and cook at your convenience. They can even take the patty to school. 




KALE OREXI!! Another great tasting dish from my kitchen to yours! 











No comments :

Post a Comment