Monday, June 23, 2014

Carbonara - A Family Favorite

Yum

                            Welcome to   Momzcuisine!

                           Carbonara a Family Favorite



About a year or so when I started blogging, this was my first post, so today I went back I re-edit and now I'm reposting. I want to thank all my readers and followers for their support. It has been a therapeutic and exciting journey. It feels great to see how much I have improved and of course there's still room for more improvement.

Sun washed beaches, emerald waters and eating  a plate of Carbonara in Paleokastritsa, ahh, the carefree days of summer '94. I present to you my family's favorite dish and pictures of this magical place, my father's hometown, where Carbonara became a hand me down recipe, as my beloved cousin Effie showed me all the right steps to perfect Carbonara pasta sauce!  Each time I prepare this dish memories of innonence,  boisterous and jolly tiems.  My family's favorite and soon it will be yours too! You don't even have to go shopping all the ingredients can be found on my links.


Carbonara A Family Favorite

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • 1 regular sized onion
  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 1/2 pints of whipping cream ( if needed you can add more)
  • butter ( to saute) 
  • 10 slices bacon
  • 10 slices ham
  • 4.5 oz sliced mushrooms ( fresh ones could be used but have to be cleaned and saute) 
  • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese 
                                                     
                                                         


                                               Serenity, Paradise and a plate of Carbonara! 


First,  dice onions and place them in your pot, saute for  3 minutes with 1 tablespoon of butter
                       

Add your diced bacon, saute for 5 minutes, add butter if needed 



Then add your diced  ham, again add butter 


Then add your mushrooms, saute for another 5 minutes. Add your egg  and mix everything together. 
Add Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper to taste. Set aside, it might not look appetizing but hold on for the end result! Yummy :) 



Your Carbonara Pasta Sauce is ready, boil your pasta as per  directions on package. Drain your pasta in a colander, add them to the Carbonara mix, add salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and the whipping cream. Place on medium heat and stir. Your Carbonara is ready to serve! This dish takes about 30 minutes to prepare, very simple to make. It pairs excellent with a nice red semi- sweet red wine. KALE OREXI!! 


                                                         

TIP: If you would like you can also add peas to the mixture, I don't like peas in this pasta sauce, so I always omit them. 








                                                                       


7 comments :

  1. It also tastes delicious, thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting on Motivation Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie,
    I love carbonara but never make it. This looks so good and your directions are very clear.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies, I can never make enough of this dish. :)

    ReplyDelete